Like Cam Newton, quarterback for the Carolina Panthers, many men with athletic builds have trouble selecting tailored clothing that is flattering for their body type.
Over the course of our long history of dressing American athletes (we are the Official Tailored Clothier of Major League Soccer, the Seattle Sounders, the Vancouver Whitecaps and the Portland Timbers), we have picked up a few tricks that just might help. Here are a few tips for dressing an athletic build:
1. Have a sales associate properly fit you for a suit, then stick to that size every time. Men with larger chests tend to buy sizes that are too large, which makes them look boxy.
2. Always wear a two-button jacket, which will elongate your torso and balance wider shoulders.
3. Remember that dress shirts should have some drape. Make sure the sleeves are not too tight around your biceps.
4. Have an expert tailor take in the excess fabric on both sides of the jacket to create a slim and lean silhouette.
5. Wear slim and narrow cut trousers, which will make you appear taller and slimmer.