Three piece suits, once seen as old-fashioned, have made a comeback with slimmer silhouettes and a modern look.
“A well-tailored three piece suit gives a more refined appearance, without the image of stuffiness or dressing above the occasion,” said Michael Salamanca, Senior Marketing Manager for Hart Schaffner Marx. “It makes a powerful impression as well as suggests a strong appreciation of style.” Read more for how to master the look.
Here are some tips to nail the three piece look:
1. Fit is the most important element to make your three-piece suit look modern. Take it to a tailor and have him fit the vest and create a slim and body-hugging silhouette. This will prevent the many layers from making you look bulky.
2. Never to try to “color match” a vest with a suit to make a 3-piece suit. The suit jacket, the pants and the vest should be made from the same color and same fabric.
3. Most men overlook little details that complete an outfit. One overlooked detail is the bottom button of your vest, which should always remain unbuttoned. In fact, never button the bottom button of the vest or jacket on any suit.
4. Stick to small patterns, such as a minimal plaid. Too large of a pattern could border on clownish and dated.
5. Pay attention to the weight and type of fabric your three-piece suit is made of. Especially since you are wearing one more layer than usual, you don’t want to be wearing the wrong fabric in the wrong season. Choose a wool flannel for colder days and a lightweight linen for summer nights.
6. To keep the look grounded in tradition, choose a three-piece suit with a notch lapel. If you want to go for a more fashion-forward and trendy look, opt for a peak lapel.
Our 125th Anniversary Grey Flannel Suit, $995, features a trimmer silhouette, shorter length, raised armholes, and narrower peak lapels that give it a cleaner, more modern feel.